Friday, July 07, 2017

Just Keep Swimming

The hot weather has limited the time of day where you can run outside to the early, early morning hours before sunrise.  Because the country does not recognize Daylight Savings Time, the sun rises very early in the morning in the summer; it is already light by 4:30am.  This does not play into my sleep schedule since I like to sleep a little later than that.

And the days get hot.  By the time the sun is visible above the horizon the temperatures are already in the 90s. The hundred-teens are average during the day and the 120s are often.  The heat has forced us to the pool on the base.  It's a nice way to cool off and change my disposition before dinner. 

A few weeks ago I decided to swim a few laps to see how far I could go.  The chart on the wall told be that 10 laps (20 lengths) was the equivalent of a quarter mile.  I started adding laps and quickly worked up to a half mile.  Yesterday, I swam my first mile.  It wasn't too fast but it wasn't slow either. 

To keep track of the laps - which is harder than it seems - I try to relate the lap to something in the family. Lap 6.  Grant is six.  Lap 11. TJ will turn eleven.  This goes on and on for 38 laps. 

Swimming doesn't give me the same feeling as running does but it is a kicker work out.  Is there a triathlon in my future?  Let me see what happens when the weather cools off.  In the meantime I will be like Dory.

No comments: