Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Waiting Game

Okay, believe it or not, I am now at the point in my pregnancy where I am ready to deliver. Yes, the procrastinator in me is done. Its time to go into labor and get this whole thing over with. . . . but I wait. Funny thing is though, I have no control over when this whole delivery thing happens. This of course drives me CRAZY!

For the past week now, I have experienced mild contractions and leg spasms in the evening. It has gotten to the point where I can predict that at 8:00 PM I will experience a shooting pain in my upper inner thigh followed by cramping and contractions of my abdomen. And every night that this has happened I have thought sometimes to myself and sometimes out loud: "is this it? Am I going into labor? Will tonight be the night?" And every night at 10:00 PM or so I go to bed a bit anxious only to awake at my usual 5:00 AM time to release my full bladder. Sigh. Its just my body warming up for its grand performance.

I am now fearful of being the "girl who cried labor pains". You know, similar to the boy who cried wolf? Tonight, its past eight, I am experiencing the same symptoms as every night before, but I am a bit more jaded in my believing that tonight will end up like every other night.

But one of these days I know it is going to be different. I do not know how, I do not know when. But at some point baby Brown will be born and these labor pains I am feeling will evolve into more. My hope is that I will recognize it for what it is worth-- time to go to the hospital-- rather than just brushing it off as the usual. Of course, this is most every pregnant woman's fear.

And so we wait.

No comments: