Thursday, May 10, 2007

How Precious

My oldest friend in the world called me today to tell me his wife was going to have a miscarriage. This isn't the first. After several attempts, numerous doctors visits, and years of frustration they decided to adopt a beautiful and wonderful daughter. This pregnancy was unexpected but nonetheless a chance of excitement for them both.

They knew when we were visiting with them last month but chose not to say anything because the early signs were there that my friend's wife would not be able to complete the pregnancy. Four ultrasounds in four weeks indicated a decreasing heart rhythm, and further complications. Horrible waiting from week to week. This morning they found out the heart beat had stopped altogether.

My heart aches for them. For her.

I think about my wife and how remarkably blessed we have been these eight plus months. I think how precious life - growing life - is. Then I think about those women and couples who try and try in vain. Lisa and I have taken this pregnancy for granted because it has been so easy. In a moment like this I cannot help to stop and thank God, thank Lisa, thank fortune for allowing us to be so blessed.

No comments: