Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Month of Activity

We are down to the final stretch. Wow. Baby Brown should be here within the month. Are we ready? HA! Not quite. But we are getting there. As I share this with others, many say, "that's funny, most pregnant women by the ninth month are tired, cranky, and ready to get the whole pregnancy thing over with. But not you, huh?" I reply with a simple, "not yet."

You see, being the procrastinator that I am, I have just now accepted that I am pregnant and starting to have fun with it. Baby Brown has been SUPER active in the past few weeks and it is fun-- and a bit eerie having him move all around. My belly is also pretty ripe and round-- much more so than two months ago-- so I am enjoying walking around with everybody KNOWING that I am pregnant rather than being that woman that others wonder about (did she gain that much weight over the winter months? I guess married life is tough on her).

I am also getting a huge chuckle over how my body has changed and evolved and how pregnancy has changed me physically. Yes, it is harder going up the stairs at Willard Straight Hall every morning. Getting dressed poses its own challenges-- especially putting on socks and shoes. Bending over is next to impossible. And then there is the realization that I have lost control over a few things in my lower region. I have become a farting machine.

Perhaps the funniest instance of this realization was one morning as I was struggling to put on my pantyhose (yes, I am still wearing those things), I laid out across the bed on my back, feet up in the air, one leg of the hose on, the other partly on. That alone was a pretty sight. But what made it so much more comical was that as I was attempting to get dressed, all of a sudden a loud and high pitched toot came out of me. "What was that?" I said to myself. "Did I just fart? Great, thats a pretty sight!" Rich was in the other room and just started to laugh. Yep. That's my husband. We tend to bond over this kind of silly potty humor.

I also had a mildly scary incident at Target just the other day. And here again I realized that I am losing control. As I was entering the shopping area, I let out a sneeze. Typically a sneeze just involves my nose. This time however, I discovered that my pants were feeling a little wet. "Oh no. . . . did my water just break?" My mind raced. "Or. . . oh no, how embarrassing, I think I lost control of my bladder with that sneeze. Shit! Where is the restroom?" Thank goodness I was five paces away from the ladies room and could exit from what could have been a very awkward stroll around Target.

So besides body changes, Rich, Samantha and I have also been very busy preparing for baby Brown's arrival. We are working hard on the nursery, we are acquiring more stuff to assist us when baby brown is born, and we even went on a test run to the hospital so we could see the lay out of the labor and delivery area so that there are less surprises when the day actually comes.

So, am I ready? Not yet. There still is much to do and much fun to be had with my pregnancy. I want to enjoy these last few weeks and make the funny, and sometimes uncomfortable moments last. But, I do know as May 29th gets closer, we will be ready to give birth and actually greet this active soccer player that has been feeling quite at home in my belly. I'll be ready then. But for now, there is still so much to experience during this last month.

No comments: