Thursday, May 31, 2007

How to Pass the Time

So. . . we wait. Nursery is ready. Bags packed. Grandma Betty arrives tomorrow. We are all anxiously awaiting Baby Brown's arrival. I am feeling well physically. Sure, I am big, my feet are swollen, but by in large all is looking good. It is just the mind games and the mental aspects of waiting which seem so hard right now. We really thought Baby Brown would be in our arms by this time.

We did have an appointment with the midwife yesterday. She eased my mental anguish and assured me that going past a due date is quite common. In her opinion I was going to deliver by week's end. My blood pressure was good and the baby's positioning was right on. Now we just needed to wait for my uterus to "ripen". Great. . . my uterus is a fruit and I am a darn fruit tree. Hearing the baby's heartbeat was comforting as well.

This waiting is an awkward balance of making plans and keeping myself focused on the here and now. People are surprised to see me still at work, but truthfully it makes sense to pass the time at work rather than claim vacation days that I will not be able to cash in on the other side during matermity leave. So I take care of little things that I know can be complete at the end of each work day. But this has me feeling a bit unfulfilled. My motivation at work has slowed.

Rich, Samantha and I are also trying to enjoy our last moments together "pre baby". Memorial Day Weekend was wonderful-- very low key. But even during these times our thoughts are filled with the baby's arrival and when it might be. My "got to get done before baby arrives" project list is all but complete. I've got to come up with some other projects to keep me busy. But I am also afraid to start something I can not complete. Do I run out and buy a whole bunch of flowers to plant in our front garden? That will pass the time. Do I go through all of my Camp Seafarer British Virgin Island trip records and build a manual for the new trip leaders? Again, though how much of this will I be able to complete?

So for now, Rich and I have found several other ways to pass the time. One of which is to watch every single episode of Heros on NBC. Thank goodness for Tivo. We have the whole season that we are now watching marathon style. A good show. Keeps us entertained.

Come on baby. We want to see you.

No comments: