Friday, February 01, 2008

I Aint Nobody's Grandma!

So. . . get this. . . .

I was in a Wendy's the other day after a trip to the mall. I finished giving TJ a bottle and was getting ready to take him to the bathroom so we could change his diaper before the ride home. At that point we ran into a mom and her two-year-old boy. The boy was very excited to see a baby, so naturally, I stopped so that I could show off my son and have him interact with others.

We did the normal mom-kid exchanges. Ooh, what is your name, how old are you, I think the baby likes you. Yada, yada, yada. Of course most of this conversation involved the boy's mother serving as his interpreter. The mom was filling out an application to work at Wendy's and seemed a bit young and uneducated. Okay, maybe that assessment is not very fair of me, and maybe I am exposing my elitist side of me. However, I hope you will find that our next exchange totally validates my assessment.

After the pleasantries with the son, the mom looks up at me and says, "oh, are your TJ's grandma?" WHAT?! My mouth dropped. Did she really ask me if I was the grandmother of my son? Come on? Are you serious. I said, "no, I am his mom." What I really wanted to say is: "No. Some of us choose to wait after high school, go to college, get a high paying job, and then have children when we can support them." But I bit my tongue instead. Needless to say the conversation ended there. I think my tongue started to bleed by the time I walked into the bathroom.

I ain't nobody's grandma!

1 comment:

Annemiek said...

o wauw! Well, by the time she is 30 she will probably be a grandmother :)