Tuesday, February 05, 2008

First Signs of Communication

Just a few days before TJ turns 8 months, we are seeing signs of TJs desire to communicate. That is, communicating in other means besides crying.

Just last week he started using the ASL sign for "more" when eating his cheerios. At first, when Olga told us he started to sign, I thought it was impossible for him to do this so early on. Really? He told you he wanted more cheerios? Come on. But then I saw it for myself that night at dinner. Granted sometimes I get confused between when he is clapping and when he is wanting "more", but it is obvious he is doing something intentionally.

Now TJ is starting to wave. A few mornings ago, I brought him downstairs after he just woke up and seeing his sister and father for the first time that morning, he raised his hand and moved it around as if to say, "Good morning!" It was adorable. Now he is raising his hand and shaking it in other situations too. I think he gets it. . . now he just needs to work on his fine motor skills.

It is exciting to know that TJ is starting to understand how to communicate. We plan on teaching him and using other signs in the next few months and I look forward to him picking these up too.

No comments: