Tuesday, July 17, 2007

TJs First Road Trip

This past weekend, TJ and I took our first road trip together to see Daddy at Fort Dix, New Jersey. And if this weekend is any indication of our future together as road trippers, I say LETS GO CROSS COUNTRY. TJ was a world class traveller and really made the weekend with Dad fun.

The ride down, TJ did a fabulous job sleeping. I kept the radio on low and the speed above 60. There was something about that combination that just seemed to work and I was not about ready to jinx his sleeping pattern. He was so peaceful. I was amazed with how well this little boy travelled. I was prepared for a six hour drive. It only took four.

As a part of the weekend we went to visit our friends, Pat and Amy. They had yet to meet TJ, so we were more than excited to do the introductions. We also took a ride to the Jersey Shore. TJ had his first beach experience and I rather think he enjoyed it. Dad and son donned their Hawaiian Shirts for the occasion and TJ was able to dip his feet in the Atlantic Ocean. It was a great first milestone for a boy whose mother hopes will fall in love with the water like she has.

It was wonderful to see Rich again and share in the wonder of TJ as husband and wife. I think that over the past few days I have really seen TJ "grow up" a bit. He seems to be getting bigger and is developing some new sleeping and waking behavior habits. I am reminded that this baby is a dynamic, changing, little person who will experience phases and learn and grow over time. As much of a no-brainer as it sounds: TJ is not going to stay an infant forever. But it is a fascinating experience to watch.

We even can report that over this weekend, TJ gave an award winning smile to his dad. Up turned lips and everything. It was a much bolder smile than the others we had seen. I think he was expressing his joy over seeing his dad, meeting new people, and his trip to the ocean. How could you not help but smile. This is summer vacation at its best.

No comments: