Friday, December 01, 2006

Going Public

We have hit the fourteen weeks mark. . . over three months pregnant. I now feel that we are at a stage where it is ok to share our news and go public with our announcement that we are expecting. And I have to admit, it has been kind of fun. I first told Travis (my boss) a few weeks ago. I wanted to make sure that as I told people at work, Travis heard the news from me first rather than hearing it thru the grapevine. I was a little nervous sharing the news. Was he going to go straight to work related issues? Read me the Cornell policy about maternity leave? Ask me all kinds of questions that I did not know the answer to? But I was anxious for no reason. He was thrilled. His first reaction was to stand up, walk over to me and give me a hug. "I love kids!" he said.

And the general reaction from people that I have told has been sheer joy. Its actually fun to share the news and watch the reactions, get the hugs and the way to gos! This week I am attending one of my all time favorite professional development conferences, the Association of Fraternity Advisors conference. Having been to the conference for so many years, I have really developed some good friendships with other professionals. As I tell my friends and get into conversations with them about pregnancy, parenthood, children, and life, I am getting more and more excited for all that is to come. It is wonderful to hear stories, ask the questions, and share in our excitement.

And as I tell people, the fact that I am pregnant is becoming more and more real to me too. I do not really "show" yet and as mentioned before my first three months have been rather uneventful, so I have not yet truly felt pregnant. But it is all starting to change now. I have a feeling the second trimester is going to be fun.

No comments: