Saturday, January 19, 2013

So Scary Snow

I've been living in North Carolina for three years now.  I left New York in January 2010 in the middle of a snow storm and arrived 600 some odd miles to the south in another snow storm.  It figures that the bad weather would follow me.
2010. Never Again!

Since my arrival I've seen snow on at least three occasions; the most significant being the day after Christmas 2010.  Grant was three weeks old.  It snowed enough to make a snowman. 

After 43 years living with snow every year, and living a majority of those years where Lake Effect Snow is a dominant weather event, I can attest that snow is very picturesque for a day and then loses its attraction altogether.  For the rest of the winter.  I have shoveled and pushed so much snow in my life that the total collective weight of it must be over a ton.  Seriously.

I do not miss snow.  I get a chill every time Al Roker shows me one of those blizzards dumping snow in Somewhere Else, USA.

This week the weather guys predicted a snow storm of up to 4 inches in parts of this state.  I had been in Kentucky where a ice storm barely brushed by the part of the state I was in and when I got back to RDU the electronic highway signs flashed and warned "WINTER STORM WARNING." In Raleigh, North Carolina snow is a reason to fret and horde everything from gasoline to milk and bread.  It causes enough of a panic that schools are delayed or closed before the first flake ever falls from the sky. Thursday evening my work delayed its start by two hours and TJ's school pushed back its opening by two hours as well. 

And so, Thursday night was full of torrents of rain and the temperature began to drop.  [Cue the dramatic music.]  By Friday morning the sun was out to reveal nothing but a good frost.  [Insert rim shot here.]  TJ, hoping to see snow, was crestfallen.  Work and schools were still delayed and I drove in on clear, dry roads in forty degree weather.

Of all the benefits of moving to the South, the fact that I do not need a snow shovel ranks up near the top.

I do not miss snow. 

No comments: