Friday, January 25, 2013

Father - Daughter Trip

Best.  Picture.  Ever.


Look at my new favorite picture is me and my daughter.  The sun is setting over our shoulders as we stand in front of a topiary of Mickey Mouse outside of Disney Hollywood Studios.  Her arms are over my shoulders and the smiles on our faces each say something different.  Mine says, "after all these years I am finally to the point where I can take fun trips with my kids."

Sam and I took a long weekend over the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend to go to Orlando and use our Vacation Club.  Sam and I have long talked about a trip to the Hollywood Studios so she could ride the Tower of Terror; a ride her younger brother got to ride before she did.  I planned the trip way back in July and waited patiently until Christmas to give the trip as a present because even though Lisa and I both love Disney parks, I am the big kid ready to go again.  And again.  And again.  

Our trip coincided with the Charleston Marathon where Sam and Lisa provided support to the Run A Kid To Camp team from Camp Seafarer - almost half way to Florida!  After the race on Saturday, we got a good nights rest and drove to Orlando and the Disney Boardwalk Inn.  

I suppose some parents would dread spending a six hour drive (from Charleston, SC to Orlando, FL) and a nine hour drive home, let alone spending three days just with your offspring and no other adults.  And that was true for me too because I didn't know what we were going to talk about for all that time.  After all, there is only so much anticipation about the trip your can muster up, and trying to go over all the things you need to parent your kids about is exhausting for both.  I certainly could have dredged up Sam's missteps from 2012, but who wants to start a trip like that?!  Yet, I was also excited to be able to spend time just with her at an age where she wasn't fully independent and didn't need 100% supervision.  

It's great to be able to share a hobby with your kids.  For some its hunting, or camping, or baking, or even playing video games.  Disney has always held a special place in my heart and Sam and I both love thrill rides. Disney is our family hobby.

Tower of Terror?  Check.  Three times.
Star Tours?  Check.  Four times.
Pictures with Mickey?  Yes!
Disney parade?  You bet.
Disney magic?  Of course - everywhere.

Throughout the day - looking over and seeing the smile on Samantha's face - a face that is no longer a child's but is still not quite an adult's, I realize that special moments will become few and far between in the years ahead as she leaves our home for her own life.  

We had a great time and still left an attraction or two for another visit.

Thank you, Walt, for a dream that allows this family to connect with laughter, thrills, and good times.
Thank you, Sam, for a great day together.

A-ten-shun!

Lots of Monsters

Mickey and Sam

We Went Tractor Tippin' After We Took This Pic

American Idol Auditions
 


No comments: