Monday, March 14, 2011

Family Heirlooms

What do you leave behind for your children that really matters? What physical piece of property that you once owned will mean something to the children and grandchildren you leave behind? What makes a family heirloom?

I own a couple of family heirlooms that mean a lot to me. The first is a cigar humidor that was given to my father's father upon his retirement from the New York State Police. There is a small engraved metal plate on it with his name and an accolade for years of service. It sits on my dresser and is filled with my heirlooms; ticket stubs from movies, hockey games, museums, etc. from my trips with Lisa, Samantha, and the boys.

The second is my bookcase; this seven foot tall glass and wood piece of "art" that has been passed through three generations and was made by hand, or so the family legend goes. In it are some of our favorite books and keepsakes.

I look around and wonder what the kids and - one day - grand kids will cherish and want. My green BDU uniform, or the ones I wore in Iraq in 2004-2005, or the ones I wore in 2008-2009? Maybe the framed guidon from my Soldiers or the officers sword from my cadets? Or would it be something as simple as my Koran from my interpreter?

Lisa and I already have a few personal valuable things; our framed wedding invitation, our wedding rings, our beach sand collection from all of the beaches we have visited, certain pictures of the kids. They are priceless to us.

Last week Lisa and I used Shutterfly to make a new family heirloom that we are both proud of. We made a sixty page book of our trips to Disney parks and the cruise between the years of 2005 to 2010. We called it The Brown Family Disney Memory Book, Volume I. Instead of DVD and CDs of the trip we collaborated and created something together. Because we love Disney, we know there will be a Volume II and III. My hope is that thirty years from now I will get to pull out those books and sit down with the kids - and the kid's kids and tell the stories behind the photos as clearly as the picture on the paper, all with a hint of nostaglia.

Good night.

No comments: