Sunday, June 17, 2018

Opening Day

Opening Day at Camp Sea Gull. The kids are unpacked and ready to have a great month. It’s different unpacking and settling two campers in the drop off window of time. I did not have much time at all to walk around, see the new cabins, or see the Grandparent’s recognition area where my mom and dad are listed along with their 5 grandchildren that have attended Camp. There was too much to do and then they were kicking us out. Okay, actually Rich was kicking us out. We could have stayed...right?
Grant's Cabin
Grant's View

As I was busy unpacking and going to the camp store and visiting with as many people as I could before Rich pulled me away, Rich was patiently helping Grant figure out the combination to his lock. Grant had forgotten what 3 number code he set it too. For awhile yesterday it was 919 (our area code). Then it was 911 (cause its easy to remember), but then apparently Grant changed it once again. He never told me that he changed it, and of course he could not remember it. 


Grant was rather stressed about the whole thing. What on earth was he going to do without a lock? Where could he get a new lock and how could we fix this. I thought to myself that locks are meaningless at camp. As a camper, I never had a lock. The only reason people used them was to keep the locker closed— a latch of sorts that held everything in. And for many of us a clothes pin served that purpose. There was no need to lock things up at camp.  It was safe. Heck, I still leave the car keys in the car! It’s standard practice! But apparently, things have changed and kids feel the need to have a lock. 

So, back to Rich and the lock. There he sat, on the front porch of Cabin 15 determined to solve the problem. “Don’t buy a new lock” he said as I headed to the Camp Store. 

He started with 0-0-1. Nope.

Then went to 0-0-2. Nope. 

0-0-3. . . 0-0-4. . . 0-0-5. . . 0-0-6. . . . and on and on. 

1-4-3. . . 1-4-4. . . 1-4-5. . . 1-4-6. . .  no end in sight. 

Nevertheless, he persisted. Until, CLICK. He discovered the winning combination. 4-0-3. Four-hundred-and-three attempts. I would have given up at 0-1-0. 

Rich asked Grant at the end why he ended up choosing that combination yesterday. “Cause of the flag in the office,” he replied. Rich’s purple battalion flag hanging on the wall with 403 on it, for the 403rd CA Battalion. Not so sure if Rich appreciated the overture. But at least it made sense to our 7 year old. And for four hundred and two attempts it allowed me to stay longer at camp.

Thank you for not using 0-0-9, Grant. You bought me more time.

No comments: