Sunday, June 03, 2018

I (Still) Love New York


I spent a few days in New York last week and was reminded how much I like that part of the country at this time of the year.  Cool mornings, warm afternoons, low humidity are great in May and June.  For the record I do not miss upstate New York winters which can last from October to March (not kidding in the slightest).  The first rest area off of I-81 as you enter NY from PA has this awesome sign with the perfect backdrop for pictures.


Sam and walked up Cascadilla Falls - one of the two waterfall systems just in the city of Ithaca alone.  These water falls start in downtown and traverse all the way to College Town, right outside of Cornell University. The recent rain filled the falls with energy and sound.  
It is hard to imagine that this is in a small city in upstate NY located near a prestigious Ivy League school.  Coming back to visit I realize that we took the views and the sites for granted while we were here; seen but not fully appreciated.  



This is one of my favorite scenes in all of NY - rolling hills with farms set down in the valley that seem out of place in the 21st century.  ST-13 runs from Cortland to Dryden along the ridge of this valley and the view is incredible - big skies, green pastures, rolling hills, and long view out to the horizon. Something about it sets me at ease whenever I see it (sometimes, even on a clear day when it is blanketed in snow).

I (still) Love NY.

No comments: