Tuesday, April 18, 2017

What Matters


Sitting in Kansas with a moment to reflect on the things that matter on the eve of my 50th birthday.

I am blessed with three great kids, an amazing wife, and good friends and family who remind me that I am loved. 

At this age I suppose some people would be looking at the status quo in life, or at least a steady state of affairs that are predictable.  My life could be no further than that.  I suppose that is strange because when I was younger I knew I wanted stability and predictability. 

But then, what are those things?


I have the stability of a wonderful marriage and good children.  Everything else is simply not what I expected.  I am still in the Army after 30 years of service.  I am currently deployed to the Middle East for the third time.  I am about to take command of huge organization that is spread across five states with missions in Europe and Africa - with a current world outlook that is bleaker than it has been in twenty-five years.  And, oh by-the-way, this is my part time career.

I have full time job that I am currently on leave from and the promise of another fifteen plus years in for the government.  I could leave public service for great financial rewards and benefits - I suppose.  However, I seem to have enough plates spinning as it is.

But what matters?


What matters is Samantha, TJ, Grant, and Lisa. 

Samantha is still in NY - next to impossible to get her to Ft. Leavenworth for the limited time I had - but we got to FaceTime and chat.

I got to see the boys last week when I traveled to Kansas for my Pre Command Course and Betty (always gracious with her money) flew the kids out to see me.  Grant's hug was big and warm and long. TJ seemed thrilled to differ being the "man of the house" to me for a couple of days. We wrestled and played. We burped and farted.  All wonderful. 

I had two evenings alone with the one person who is keeping everything together.  I can't image my life without all that Lisa has brought to it; a home, children, and love. 

It's good to be 50 and know what matters.

 




No comments: