Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Precipice on a Foggy Day


I had the opportunity to walk through the National World War I Museum in Kansas City, Missouri last week as I was finishing up my Pre-Command Course.  It was one of those last minute decisions brought about by the chance of having half a day off and picking between sitting in my room and watching Netflix or driving 45 minutes to downtown KC,MO.  A word of advice, always pick the adventure.

As an aside, my grandfather, Rodney A. Brown, served in the Great War. My father served in Korea in 1953, immediately after the ceasefire, and then there is my service. 

The round museum compels you to walk counter clockwise starting with the war years from 1914-1917 – the years before the US entered the war. The second half of the museum focuses on the United States entering the war and goes through Armistice Day (now known as Veteran’s Day).  The museum is magnificent with uniforms, weapons, artifacts, memories, and a rich history of the Great War.

In the nineteen-teens the nations of Europe were very connected economically and socially to one another.  Even the leaders of some of the great nations of Britain, Germany, and Russia were related to one another. In the face of this prosperity, there was no real reason to go to war. Yet, the drum beats were there.  While the facts that started the War are known to history, one can only wonder what was on the minds of people in the months and weeks leading up to that first shot that brought the world to its knees.  

I cannot help but wonder if we hear those drum beats again across the Pacific and in Europe. The telltale signs are there. Leaders who will not back down. Military advantages that we don’t want our adversaries to have. Fear of losing power or not being powerful enough. The far too distant memories of a major war that sent thousands home in coffins and many more with scars, both visible and invisible.  Maybe I am too sensitive to war and think too much that “history repeats itself.”  

It seems like we are walking in a dense fog on the side of a mountain. We know there is a ledge there.  We know the fall is perilous. Yet we continue to walk around hoping that we do not step off rather than stop and wait until it gets clear.

I want to be wrong. I would like the “kind” in humankind to prevail. We don’t need another war museum.

The paradox is that I would want my children to serve our nation in uniform. I would prefer it was without ever having to pick up a weapon in anger.  Might is a deterrence and using it should be a last resort. 

I am glad that I went to the museum to honor those men who shipped off to war 100 years ago and to keep my perspective on who I am and where we are today.

Finally, (as not be a total downer of a post) remember that there is a lot of love in the world. Do not underestimate its power.  It starts with family and extends outward in the relationships we have. Love is a powerful weapon. 








No comments: