Monday, July 18, 2016

I Was Raised By Drill Sergeants


I joined the Army in 1987. I shipped off to Basic Training to Fort McClellan, Alabama in the heat of that summer and was met by Drill Sergeants who taught me to respect authority in a whole new way while simultaneously teaching me the tasks and skills of becoming a Soldier.  Simple things like rolling my underwear and socks to "taking up a good prone supported firing position" are still things I do today.  

Among the many things I learned and learned to love in 1987 was art of Drill and Ceremony - known to civilians as "marching".  I loved the unity of 40 Soldiers marching in unison in a platoon, or 160 marching in a Company. The movements, when performed with precision, are inspiring.

By 1990 I was a commissioned officer - officers do not march Soldiers - Non Commissioned Officers, or NCOs, do that.  My military career found me in the nearest Army Reserve to my home in Cortland a Drill Sergeant unit in the Army Reserves in the 98th Training Division.   

A few years later I was the Company Commander and my NCOs never missed a chance to correct my Drill and Ceremony or show off their own skills when moving troops around on Annual Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.  I learned the inflection of the commands and how to project my voice across the void. 

[That skill would later come in handy when I was working Cadets - a booming voice that never rose to a shout but could instill fear and or despair in my poor students.]  

I have always appreciated what those NCOs taught me so, so long ago and I have never forgotten how to do it.  So earlier this year when my Commanding General shook my hand and told me that I'd be the Commander of Troops for his Change of Command Ceremony I took it in stride.  While many other officers cringe at the prospect I had no fear.  

A One Star level Change of Command is big affair with hundreds of Soldiers on the field, dozens of dignitaries and family members, a review of the troops, a band, and cannon salute.  The Commander of Troops, or COT, orchestrates the event through a series of commands, gestures, salutes. And while NCOs march Soldiers - this esteemed event is run by an officer.  The commands are specific, the timing is precise, and all eyes in the audience are upon the COT.  

Of course the key to a successful change of command is rehearsals; and rehearse we did for six hours the day before the event and then another full rehearsal the day of.  The rehearsals were miserable - too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, unreasonable heat and humidity, and tiny little errors that made us have to start over several times.  


The Change of Command was damn near flawless, if I do say so myself.  I had senior NCOs come up to me an offer their high praise - an honor that I shared with 1SG Joe Konsuit, SFC Frank Evangelista, MSG Rob Johnson, SFC James Barber, SGT Lee Rowland, and the rest of the professional Soldiers of Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 389th Regiment, who helped make me part of the officer I am today.

No comments: