Tuesday, July 12, 2016

There Ain't No Cure for the Summertime Blues

Mid summer.


It is so hot outside you can feel your clothes getting warmer as you walk from air conditioned building to air conditioned car.  Most days the humidity is oppressive at 8:00am making running outdoors a chore instead of a pleasure.


The days stay hot and humid until sundown but not before a passing thunderstorm removes any possibility of a dip in the pool.

The littlest one needs a better outlet for play and his built up energy and until his big brother gets home Grant is more surly than usual. Last night we wrestled for the first time since I got home and I think he bruised me. He likes rough housing - the kind TJ can give him.  Grant likes being a young brother - the kind of younger brother that (currently) worships his big brother.


My schedule has barely afforded me a nice summer evening around the house; two and half weeks in Jordan, four weeks in Kentucky, a long weekend in Maryland - it doesn't feel like summer to me.  I haven't seen our neighbors to hang out or have a late night get together.


Lisa is on her own schedule too. Camp takes up time, but not as much as it used to.  Nonetheless, she needs to be away at times when I am home.  It has the appearance that we are never on the same schedule and when we finally do get together we're too tired to play.

It makes it more frustrating to see other families be able to manage - or is it budget? - time for trips to the beach, or mountains, or museums.

It all just gives me a sense of the doldrums - in the middle summer.  TJ comes home this weekend and my travels and Lisa's travels come to an end next weekend; so maybe August won't be a total wash?


Summer.  Phineas and Ferb make it look so easy.

No comments: