Sunday, June 19, 2016

Ahoy There!

2016 marks TJ’s 4th year at Camp Sea Gull. It is a special honor to be able to share Camp with my son. I know what a magical place Camp can be and I desire that magic to rub off on TJ. Last year I questioned the impact Camp had made on him when his first remarks upon his return were, “Mom, next year can I go to a co-ed camp?” But this year, am starting to see the magic do its work.

TJ, Grant and I went to camp last weekend right before Starter Camp. It was the last day of staff training and the counselors were pumped. In typical Sea Gull training fashion, they have the “new guys” introduce themselves at the meal. As DD called up the staff to be introduced he also asked if there were any campers who “might” be in attendance. They too could introduce themselves. So TJ went up to the stage, waited in line and was the last one to have the mic. I was fortunate to get it on video.

What a way to build this kid’s self-esteem. Speaking in the mic can be a nerve-wracking experience, but TJ did it with ease. And then when the staff cheered, I am sure that he felt like a rock star. TJ told me afterward that he was nervous. I could not tell. I was thinking this was his first taste of stand-up comedy or theater. Thank you, Sea Gull staff for making my child feel important and be lifted up in such a positive way.

Later that day, we attended the Dessert Social in New Bern for Starter Campers and their parents. The majority of Starter Campers are new to camp and prone to be shy or apprehensive about the experience. I asked TJ if he could help out by talking with some of the new campers and answering any questions they may have had.  He really rose to the occasion. He spoke with parents and campers. He looked them in the eye and really gave good answers to their questions. Jon Vance even made a comment: “You have good boys. I really was impressed with how TJ welcomed new boys.” I was too, Jon.

It just goes to show when Camp gives children responsibility they take it seriously and deliver the high standards that Camp expects. I think TJ really liked being in that role.


This past weekend was Opening Day for 1st Session and it is TJs second year for the 4-week program. He was so excited to get there, get settled, and have fun. He said to me on several occasions that “Camp is my home.” You have no idea how that got me. That truth speaks to me too. As we walked around Camp my heart burst with joy when other campers would scream out of their car, “Hey T.J.” and wave at him. He would respond back with their name and a smile. What a great community of friends he has created that over the years will grow deeper. 

I look forward to the letters home, the pictures on Bunk One and other counselor and director reports. I have a feeling this will be his best summer yet. 

No comments: