Friday, April 22, 2011

When Your Kid is Cooler Than You

Samantha was here for spring break and Easter!

Last Tuesday morning I dragged her out of bed and took her to work with me to watch the Golden Knights conduct a tandem jump with some of our VIPs. A tandem jump is what I did back in November; I was attached to a parachutist and we exited the plane at two miles up and free fell for about forty-five seconds until he opened the chute. It was a chance to get Sam out of the house (and away from the XboX), bond, and let her see something really neat.

Of course Sam wanted to jump with them. No.

Of course Sam then wanted to go up in the plane and watch them exit. Again, No.

Of course I was then confronted by a 13 year old who had "nothing to do" but watch a plane wAAAy up there and a bunch of parachutes open. Thirteen year olds get bored quick.

Then we stood out be the landing area for the jumpers where one Golden Knight kept jumping out of the plane without a tandem "passenger". She kept landing on a mat with a small plate sized sensor in the in middle of it. This Golden Knight was SFC Elisa Tennyson, the world's four time and current freefall parachute champion. We began to small talk about lots of little things; life in North Carolina, her son, Camp Seafarer, ROTC, until I asked if Sam could get a picture with her; its not often you get a photo with a world champion anything. I walked off as I recognized the opportunity for Samantha to spend some time with this friendly woman who had put significant time and effort into something and as a result was exceptionally good at it, good to the point of the being the best in the world. As Samantha sets her sights for college and adulthood, I think the more chances for her to see and meet successful women, the better. They chatted while the Sergeant First Class packed her own parachute. Then off SFC Tennyson went to jump again.


Then, after her jump (again on the marker), the world champion invited Samantha to come over and said, "Sam, do you want to learn how to pack my parachute?" I stood off to the side and watched as Sam immediately and fearlessly went over and began to untangle the chute, and with guidance and demonstration, packed the parachute back into its rig for another use.

I watched and took pictures dumb founded. Not only was this woman - a professional who clearly knew what she was doing - enabling my daughter to do something that her life would shortly depend on, but that Sam embraced the task without hesitation.

I could never imagine myself doing anything like that at 13 years old. I didn't have the courage. I remember that I was once offered to ride in the front of a diesel locomotive headed from Monroe, NY to Middletown, NY and I told my dad, "No." Too shy and no confidence.

We stuck around the airfield until SFC Tennyson completed her jump with the chute Sam had packed. I kept telling Sam how cool she was - that's what parents do; but she just shrugged it off - that's what teenagers do

Watching Samantha made me wonder what she will be able to achieve as an adult with the confidence and attitude as a teenager that took me decades to find as a grown up. 

And that is cool.



No comments: