Tuesday, September 02, 2008

He Who Knows No Shame

Its moments like this one that just make me want to laugh. Moments that I want to file away and remember 25 years from now. Moments that I will want to share with T.J. and anyone else who will listen. . . so I record them here for you and I to read today and for all of us to remember later.

Today was just like any other day. I came home at 5:00 pm. Things were quiet in the house. I thought to myself that TJ and Olga were on a walk. Sometimes they get sidetracked and come home a little after 5:00. No problem. I now have an opportunity to change and go through the mail before they arrive.

Nope. Not on a walk. The stroller is right there in plain sight. Okay then. They must be in the back yard. Why don't I walk around the house and go through the side gate and surprise them. That will be fun.

Well. I guess I was the one that was taken by surprise. There was my little boy-- in all his glory-- nude. Naked as a jay bird. Playing in the pool. Big smile on his face. Having the time of his life. When he saw me, he got even more excited and started running in my direction. Oh what a sight, my little naked baby! I know that Olga has a tendency to resist using the diapers made especially for swimming. "He doesn't need." she says in her broken English. Now I had a better understanding why he didn't need the swim diapers.

But the best part of the whole situation was that my little boy, while he was naked, was snacking on an apple. Naked. Apple. What great irony. So as he ran into my arms, I said to him-- loud enough for Olga to hear, "Well hello, my little Adam. I see that you have eaten the forbidden fruit, but where is your fig leaf? Have you no shame?"

Yes, my little boy does not know the meaning of shame. And for now, perhaps that is a good thing. . . . so long as it stays in the back yard! :)

No comments: