Monday, March 31, 2008

Baby Swim Class

Yea! The day has come. I have been looking forward to this day ever since TJ was born: baby swim class day. Okay, I know. . . why does a 9 month old baby really need a swim class? But, this was the one activity I really wanted to do with my son. I really have a strong desire to have my son develop a love for the water at an early age. I want him to love the water, to feel comfortable in the water, to be “one” with the water. I guess you can say that I see baby swim class as being the first step to shaping my son to develop the same level of passion I feel for the sea, sailing, and practically every water sport out there.

The YWCA of Cortland offers a “water babies” class that fills up fast. Apparently other parents also want to get their kids swimming early too. My original hope was to have TJ start going to water babies when he was six months old. But, I was not aware at the time how cut-throat enrollment can be for this class. I called the Y on the day that open enrollment started and they told me that the class was already full. After expressing my extreme frustration to the receptionist, I begrudgingly accepted the fact that TJ and I would just have to wait a few more months for the next session to start.

So, a few months later, I was able to successfully enroll TJ in the upcoming class. Hot dog. We had a spot! You ready for some swimming time fun, sport? I donned TJ in his cute little hibiscus patterned swim trunks and matching water shirt, put on my swim suit, packed our bags, and away we went.

TJ was a little hesitant to get into the water. We walked down the ramp and into the pool. The majority of the time in the pool, I could sense that TJ was a little unsure of what was going on. First of all, this was the first time that he had been surrounded by so many other children his age and his size. I think we has soaking in the fact that there were also little, itty, bitty people his size too. I guess this is the challenge of on-on-one day care. He was very curious as to what all these other beings were. But, I also noticed that TJ was not his usual social self. No waving, no smiling, no cute little giggles. He was out of his element and trying something new. As a result, he was a bit more reserved and focused on the new experience. BUT, he did not cry. Instead, he looked at me as if to say, “who are these people and why are we sharing bath time with them all?”

The class was somewhat comical: a whole bunch of grown adults singing to their child as they walked around in a circle. Really? We are paying for this? Really? There is a waiting list for this? Okay. . .that is the cynical side in me. The mommy side thought it was a hoot. And yes, I am excited to go again next week.

No comments: