Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Garlic!?

Last week, Olga (TJ's day care provider) asked me if I was pregnant.

"What?!" I exclaimed. That is a personal question. . . and God help me if I am, I thought.

She told me how TJ had been refusing my breast milk recently and it caught her by surprise. He has always been a healthy eater and eats even when he is not hungry (which means he is good at spiting up what he doesn't want when his tummy is full). She has really had to work with him to take a bottle. Apparently there is an old wives tale out there that says the make up of your breast milk changes when you are pregnant and that you child will know you are pregnant before you do.

I assured Olga that I was not pregnant and suggested that maybe TJ was having an off day.

Well, three days later I discovered what the source of the problem was: Garlic. No joke, there was a small clove of garlic in my breast pump shield. For the past three days, as I have been expressing my breast milk I have also been infusing it with a hint of garlic (at least I hope it has been a hint).

Somehow, when things were piling up in the kitchen over the weekend, a clove of garlic managed to get trapped in the shield. I do routinely rinse and clean the shield, but I reserve the cleaning of all of the smaller pieces to once or twice a week. It was not until the "deep clean" that I discovered the clove.

My poor little TJ. Mommy is sorry. Glad to know that I am not pregnant again. . . yet.

1 comment:

Annemiek said...

Garlic in the shield?? Haha! Poor little TJ :)
Maybe not pregnant, but a case of "momnesia"? I just saw this on the Today Show, there is a name for it now; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23501326/