Monday, April 09, 2007

The Alien Inside Her

Lying in bed the other evening, Lisa was playing music for the baby via an iPod and headphones when it happened; the baby moved. The baby moved so that we could see it. Like that scene in Alien where John Hurt's stomach expands, something moved inside of Lisa.

I tried something my mom tried when she was carrying me - I put a cold drink on Lisa's belly. Aside from Lisa yelping, her entire stomach changed shape as the baby moved to a warmer climate.

It's really amazing that there is a thing living inside of another human being. When you stop and think about the nine month gestation period and how a life grows in there it is truly amazing.

I wonder what it must be like for him in there; the sounds of our voices, the pitter-patter of water during a shower, moving during yoga, the dark, the sensation of floating.

It's no longer a matter of months - it's down to weeks before the alien emerges.

No comments: