Saturday, March 03, 2007

My Pregnancy Pain

I know that I have been saying that this whole pregnancy thing has been "so far, so good" and that I have been truly fortunate with an "easy" pregnancy. By in large, I still subscribe to that feeling, however, I now have something physical to complain about: my back.

Ouch! My upper back-- right around my right shoulder blade has been hurting. Its been more of a pinch. Over the past month it has gotten so bad that I can only sit for about 30 minutes. Then I have to stand, move around, lie down on my back. . . something. Its been a challenge to function at work. I have gotten to the point that I feel totally comfortable and justified to stand off in the corner during a meeting, leave my computer/desk and go "visit" with people, and while traveling on a bus to Pittsburgh for the NGLA conference, there was the pregnant Greek advisor taking up two seats lying flat on her back. That was not too comfortable either.

I went to my husband's chiropractor first, with much trepidation. You see, I have never been a fan of chiropractors. It is scary how they twist and bend your body, make it crack and pop. It just seems unhealthy and unnatural. I have been trained to believe that the spinal cord is one of the most precious parts of your body when it comes to physical movement. So how can all of this twisting, cracking, and popping be good? Two visits later, I was not so impressed, my back still hurt, and the chiropractor was not winning me over.

At my last midwife's appointment, I told her of my issues with my back. She commented that it might be a result of my growing breasts and that I should try wearing a sports bra. But the other recommendation she gave me was to see another chiropractor that specialized in pregnancy. The sports bra didn't work. . . but the chiropractor did.

A few days later I met with "Dr. Megan". Right away I knew I was going to like her because she focused on me and my changing body. I told her of my aches and pains and right away she started explaining the many crazy shifts all my insides do as my uterus grows. Rather than things getting pushed down and back, I am experiencing a shift up and out. . . which causes some problems for my rib cage. She had me lay down on the special pregnancy table, gave me a wonderful massage, and recommended a few exercises for me to do at home. It was comforting to have someone understand a pregnant woman's body and to reassure me that, this pain too shall pass.

Since my first appointment with Dr. Megan, I have felt better. The pain has not gone away, but I have some strategies now in how to deal with it: pantyhose or an ace bandage wrapped around my upper waist as if to hold my ribs in place. I'll keep going back to her. Her comforting words, conversation, and massages are worth it.

No comments: