Tuesday, January 16, 2007

No, I'm Fine. Thanks For Asking

A father-to-be's gripe...

Ok, I get it, Lisa is on a pedestal until the baby arrives. She is the one going through changes. She is the one who will go through child birth. She is the one who balances babies, career, and time for herself (more than me). She is the focus of attention until late May.

I don't have a problem with that. I don't think I would trade places with a woman just to experience the wonder of child birth. I am in no way curious to know what any of the nine months is like from "that side of the fence". I'm fine with that thanks. I am content with dealing with the mood swings, the baby magazines in the bathroom, as well as the other changes Lisa is going through while hiding behind my gender.

That said - could someone ask - just once - how I am doing? Everyone wants to know how the star of the show is doing and to heck with the understudy. My mother, brother, boss, boss's wife, and just about everyone who knows us wants to know how Lisa is feeling. Even the people who know me and don't know Lisa other than through me. Even if they asked the question the day before.

Everyone looks at me with the you're-just-the-guy-who-got-her-pregnant stare. I could be on crutches, with an eye patch and oozing bandages and people would still ask about Lisa first (if they asked about me at all).

Everyone - Lisa is fine! She is doing great for being more than half way there.

Me? I'm good too. Thanks.

No comments: