Monday, January 29, 2007

Frigid Family Fun

For the past two years we have discussed skiing as a family activity. For numerous reason we have not; I was still building strength in my knee after my ACL surgery, lack of any real snow last year, and the fact that Samantha was absolutely against it.

After some adults only conversation over how safe it might be for Smudge on the bunny slope, we decided to take the 3 1/2 of us on the slopes of Greek Peak. We decided that we should not be the ones to teach Sam to ski. After all - she knows everything and listens to nothing. Lessons were the answer!

After the initial "I'm going to die," from Sam followed by, "keep it up and I just might kill you," from me we were on the slope. Lisa had her gear and Sam and I rented.

Initially, the day went down hill (I apologize for the pun). Sam moved her feet back and forth and went nowhere. The boots were too tight. We were giving her too many instructions. Gahh - her lesson is still 45 minutes away! Sam wanted to go to the top of the bunny slope - experiential learning - and just do it. The bunny slope was fed by a people mover magic carpet thingy. Sam got between Lisa and I and made it to the top. One "snowplow" lesson later Samantha launched down the slope and in the course of the next three hours demonstrated that she was a natural skier!

Samantha still had her lesson which only improved her solid basic skills. So there we were - the three of us on the advanced bunny slope, "Bunnyzilla", with Lisa and I trying to keep up with Sam as she blazed down the hill - shooshing from side to side. Aside from one good biff from Sam - none us fell and Lisa managed the weight distribution excellently (Smudge went along for the ride).

A moment in time - the three of us in the lights and falling snow cutting a path down to the bottom of the hill having a great time.

No comments: