Sunday, July 24, 2022

I Run Louisville

I compare my summer working at Fort Knox like working 99 Mondays and 1 Friday.  Here in this training environment, every day looks almost the same as the one before it until the last day.  There is a monotony that cannot be ignored.  However, life here wasn't without engaging in some extracurricular activities.

While I was here I looked up and signed up for three local races.

The Parklands 5k Run! was just outside of Louisville in a beautiful park.  The weather was great, clear blue skies, low humidity, and temperatures in the 60s. The course - an out and back - was on roads and pathways, over a small river, and had wildflowers everywhere.  Best part of my day was finishing second place for my age group!

The NENA Run For 9-1-1, was a 5k in Louisville, along the Ohio River. An odd race, it started at 6:30pm, following a day of the National 9-1-1 Association convention. I was one of a handful of non convention goers to sign up. I got there so early that I helped the organizers set up the course. I also got to hear first, and then see a piece of history as one of the last flight worthy B-17 WWII bombers passed over head. Witnessing that and taking first place for my age group was the best part of the day.
 
The Summer Sizzler- Louisville was a 10k that was supposed to be in Parklands, the location of the first race, but was relocated to the park along the Ohio River, where I ran the NENA 9-1-1 race. This course was an out and back along the river, over the awesome, Big Four pedestrian/bike bridge and the Ohio River, and back to the start line - TWICE.  (The organization of this race was the worst I have ever seen, period.)  The best part of the day was running the bridge and finishing seventh overall and first in my age group!

Not once while I was running did it feel like a Monday.  


No comments: