Sunday, November 18, 2018

UNC

UNC is an intense school.


I'm swamped with work all the time, I've really struggled this semester to get ahead on work like I was able to before I came here. I'm really enjoying it though.


Social stratification is probably my favorite class. My professor, Ted Mouw, is awesome. He gets really excited about certain topics and really rallies the class to discussion. We all typically agree on most things, but sometimes I pull out really different views than the class. I'm going to write my final paper in that class on the concept of the American Dream and how it deludes and arguably pacifies the population to believe escape from social class through work is an attainable dream. I may also analyze the historical effect of the relative newness of our county and how it very recently provided massive economic expansion, and that the American Dream may be a relic of a time passed when a market and land vacuum existed with very little governmental regulation that allowed people to more easily grab wealth. I'm also really interested in the adverse effect of present market/demand vacuums on industries. For example, technological advancements further some American Dreams and hinder others.



Anyway, UNC is good. ROTC is good. My friends are awesome. I'm excited to go back to Ithaca for thanksgiving.


Here's a picture of me from this weekend.

No comments: