Monday, December 12, 2016

Just A Moment

We are watching the boys grow up right underneath us.  How is that we just celebrated Grant's sixth birthday when it seems like only yesterday that he was a cute infant and toddler who spit-up all the time?  I came across some lost photos and home videos the other day and found a sweet little video of TJ at 12+/- months "dancing" to bee-bop music. That was almost 8 years ago.

All of these memories are captured on digits or video.

By the way, the discovery the lost pictures was a happy, happy occasion because the hard drive they are stored on had been lost for over a year.  I mean lost to the point where I tore apart the house - and Betty's house - looking for the hard drive. Ten years of holidays, vacations, birthdays, home movies were missing. Finding it lifted my spirit. 

But what about the moments that are not on an iPhone or GoPro?

I realized the other day that you have to savor those moments as they happen.  You cannot remember them all.  I do not remember every at-bat TJ had in T-ball nor do I remember every play Grant made in youth soccer.  While I have a general memory of those "seasons" the specifics are lost to time.

I watched TJ play basketball the other night.  He is a good team player on a solid team but he is lousy with the ball.  The gym was full of the squeaks of basketball shoes, coaches yelling, and referee's whistles. Most parents had their heads in their phones. I took a moment to enjoy the grace in the way TJ runs and the occasional glance in my direction for approval.  I rejoiced in his love of playing and his total disregard for his lack of skill.  He was glorious in being absent of any negativity.  It was enough to fill my heart. That's what I want to remember. Not being able to store it all, I take great comfort in watching it happen before my eyes.

I am presently sitting across from Grant who is proudly showing off his art work from school.  His trip the Outer Banks and the Halloween Party on display. He is happily receiving positive feedback from Mommy - and they are both oblivious to my recording it on the blog. 

These brief moments will be gone from long term memory in a few years. In a few years I wonder if I will even remember writing it, let alone the basketball game or art work. 

I wish I could hold on to these moments forever.


No comments: