Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Letter to My Son, TJ

TJ,


What a great weekend we spent at Camp Rockmont last weekend! I am glad we continued Y-Guides Trailblazers together. It's a great way to spend time together. As you might remember, I am in the middle of "War College" and I was worried that I wouldn't have enough time for the papers I had to write and going camping for a weekend.  As I told your mom last night, I am glad I managed my time and that I have my priorities straight.

The drive up was fun because you don't have a memory of being in the mountains when you were a little boy. You totally freaked out when you saw the mountains.  You thought they were big, dark clouds.  And then, when we got to Black Mountain, you said you felt dizzy from being up so high. <snicker>

Camping was fun - Tent City wasn't that bad. You were a great helper at picking out a spot and getting the tent poles put together. It was good team work. Sleeping in the tent wasn't that bad either!  At least you didn't snore.

Watching you be a kid was a great experience.  it was so funny that you would jump off the 12' diving board but not the 12' jumping platform because it was actually about a foot higher than the board.  As you said, "maybe next year."

But that Gully Washer!  Whew, what a ride. Once you learned to avoid the "scootch of shame" you flew down that hill into the water.  You must have been going about 17mph! And that one time your feet hit and you flipped on your face? - Hysterical!

I liked the Rockmont zip line - starting out of over the trees and into the water.  That zip line was faster than Sea Gull's!  It felt like we were screamin' down the hill.  I can't believe you beat me on the race we had! I definitely got to the water first! you got went farther and got out first! 

Remember the basketball games we played in the gym and in the pool? We won the game in the pool thanks to your three baskets.  You played great against the dads and other kids.  It was great being on the same team. But in dodgeball I'm glad we were on opposite teams so I could get you out TWICE!  Dad gettin' the kid - oh yeah. 

You loved that swim lake!  You spent most of the time there. Maybe next time we can do the blob, .22s, and archery.  I know you didn't do the blob when you said you did.  I know you are scared of it.  That's okay.  But I was disappointed that your lied about doing something when you didn't.  It's okay to be scared.  You were scared on the climbing wall too!  But you made it up almost 20'!  That is about the height of a two story building! 

You are such a wonderful, beautiful, happy boy. I am glad that we had the weekend together. This quality time is important for us and I will try to set aside more of it.  My dad didn't know how to spend time with his boys. It wasn't something he knew how to do. I am trying to not be like him in that regard. 



You make me a better dad.


Love, 
Dad

No comments: