Friday, January 01, 2010

Out with the Old, In with the New

Let's just say that 2009 was a difficult year. I am not too sad to see it go. Rich was in Iraq for 3/4s of the year. Which left me home as the "single parent" for the majority of the year too. Life is not as fun with your partner and best friend so far away. 2009 was the year that we lost Rebecca and then two weeks after returning to work from that sad space and time, I learned that I was being laid off from my job. Really? It just seemed like all of the hardships kept piling up. And while all of this was not fun to go through, I know that hardships build character, strength, and resiliency. So, I think I have built up my bank account on these things for the next decade!

Of course 2009 was not without its joys. Rich came home! How wonderful it was to see TJ and Daddy reunited again. To hear TJ say every morning when he woke up "Daddy Home". To listen to the wild laughter of father and son play chase and hide-and-go-seek throughout the house. We had an excellent Disney Cruise Vacation, a fun Halloween party, and one last Christmas at our house on 37 Miller Street.

So today, we usher in 2010. And with that comes all the hopes and anticipations of making this a great year. . .one that will make up for all of the "hell" of this past year. 2o1o is full of new beginnings for the Brown Family. After seven months of being laid off, I can happily report that I am going back to work. . . and not only back to work. . .but back to work for a place that I always wanted to return: Camp Seafarer and Camp Sea Gull. My decision to go into alumni affairs and development work at Cornell, while in the short run got me laid off, in the long run led me to an opportunity to raise money for camp.

Of course working with the YMCA and with camp also means that we are moving to North Carolina. As I write this entry, boxes can be seen all over our house. The movers come on Monday. . .three days away. We are going to miss this house. It has been good to us.

So 2010 has much in store for us. Its a time to start a new chapter of our lives as individuals and as a family. We are both scared and excited. Hopeful and fearful. I know we can take on any challenge that comes our way. 2009 has taught me that.

No comments: