Friday, March 27, 2020

The Coronavirus: Crackdown

Congratulations, Brown Family! You have made it through the second week of the corona virus crackdown. Sure, its been a bit tougher this week. The novelty of staying home for school and work has worn off. So why don't we raise the steaks a bit? What if, before we enter week three, the Governor issues a "shelter in place" order. How is that different than what you've been doing, you ask? Well, things are gonna get a little bit worse. But we will save that for next week. For now, lets share a bit more about week two. . . .

Most of the week has been wet and cold. Rainy days and temperatures in the 50s. The ideal weather for staying home. And so, that's what we did. The kids continued their learning online. Grant has learned all 50 states and their capitals. I am proud of him. TJ is learning more card tricks through Great Courses. I am glad that he seems to enjoy this. That talent matches his "entertainer" personality well. 

The Wake County school system is starting to get more involved in finding an instruction solution this week too. TJs teachers have sent out more assignments over google classroom. Grant's teacher has also reached out via video to say hi. Grant decided to make her an update video on what he has been doing too. North Carolina has cancelled all state ordered testing-- so no EOGs this year. This decision has also helped the teachers get a better idea of what "school" will look like for the next month. No "new" learning will take place for the time being. Just a lot of review and activities to keep the kids engaged. 

This week, it has been easy to complain-- maybe more like whine. I've gotten in a funk a few times frustrated with the situation, my inability to control the situation, and not having a darned clue as to when all of this will end. But I also know that our family has it really good right now. We are healthy. We have a safe and warm home that has water and a refrigerator and pantry stocked with food. Heck, we even have toilet paper. Rich and I have the flexibility to work from home and to determine which hours of the day we will work from home. Many other families do not have it this easy. So I do my best to put my whining in check. 

And here are the children's writing assignments for this week. . .something to help them with their critical thinking skills. 

Learning at Home
by Grant Brown

Do you prefer learning at home or at school?


It depends. I like working at home and school the same. At school I get to see my friends in my class and teachers, but at home I get to see my mom, dad, brother, and dog. But at school you are able to work with partners and not at home.


Do you prefer your parents as your teachers or those from school?


I would have Mrs. Bushhouse as a teacher instead of my mom. Mrs. Bushhouse almost  never yells at the class. I also don’t see her every day but I see my mom every day. She also is a professional at teaching 4th graders.


If you were in charge of the school system, what would you do in this crisis?


If I were the one in charge of how we went to school during the CORONAVIRUS, I would have the kids at home for 3 months then have them come back. In those 3 months I would give them work to do like Reading Theory for reading, and for math they would have to do Khan Academy. I would let the parents decide on what they do for social studies and science. They don’t have to do recess, it is up to them.


Update 2
by TJ Brown

Do you prefer learning at home or at school?
Honestly I like working at school better than at home because I see my friends teachers. PE is actually fun at school. The teachers also have majored in teaching and they know what they are doing.

Do you prefer your parents as your teachers or those from school?

I would have my teachers instead of my parents because most of them are sometimes fun and forgiving. But if i had my mom and dad all the time, they would be less fun and unforgiving.

If you were in charge of the school system, what would you do in this crisis?


If I was the superintendent I would have all the kids who have devices and WiFi do Khan Academy or just review and learn new things online. If a kid does not have a device or WiFi, their teachers would have to send them weekly work from the mail.

No comments: