Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Kindness Matters



TJ told me a story the other day about our time at Disney that really warmed my heart. I do not think he knows the impact that it had on me as his mother; he told me the story in passing-- kind of a "oh mom, this funny thing happened the other day I forgot to tell you about" moment. But it speaks to the kind of person TJ is growing up to be and that somehow he understands that kindness matters.

The story? It all took place at the swimming pool in our resort at Disney. TJ and Grant were playing on the water slide. Going up, going down, and then going up again. Repeatedly. Lots of fun and lots of energy. Boys.

TJ said that there was a little boy wanting to go down the water slide too, but he seemed kind of scared. So he stood off to the side watching TJ and Grant hurl themselves into the tube and moments later be back to do it all again. In all the fun, TJ stopped to acknowledge the little boy and his hesitation. He said "Hey, you wanna go? It will be lots of fun. Here, go before me!" And he moved out of line gesturing for this little boy to seize the moment.

TJ explained that after his invitation, this little boy stood in wonder. His eyes got really big and full of surprise. As he approached the slide ready to go, he said. "Wow. You are the first big kid that has been nice to me. Thanks." And away he went. Fear gone. Heart full.

I told TJ that this story speaks volumes for who he is as a person-- his CHARACTER and that even in the little things, TJ is not only aware of others, but he is kind. Even to the little guys.

I am proud of the person that TJ is becoming. He has grown a lot in this past year. Taking on more responsibility around the house, being more focused in school, helping out for helping out's sake, and making good choices, and now an other example to add to the list.

Thank you for remembering to share that story with me, TJ. May you always remember that kindness matters!


No comments: