Saturday, September 16, 2017

The CAR Attends My Change of Command

Big career event the other weekend as I took command of the 308th Civil Affairs Brigade in Chicago (Homewood), IL. Indeed, it is an honor and privilege to lead Soldiers and I said as much at the ceremony.

I am still a little overwhelmed by it all. Being in the US Army Reserve is a full-part-time (or part-full-time) career that has to be balanced against a real full time job, family, fun, and other commitments.  No one can really, truly, say that the Reserves are part time job.  Especially with 1000 troops in your command.

My unit had the pleasure of having the Chief of the Army Reserves attend the Change of Command.  He was passing through Chicago, picked our unit to spend some time with and so arrived at the ceremony about a minute before it was to start.  

He spoke to the Soldiers for about 20 minutes after the ceremony and then gave me a 30 minute office call - some one-on-one time to discuss issues.  We had a great conversation and I wish it could have lasted longer.  It is a professional highlight to talk big picture issues with someone who gets to see the big picture on a daily basis.

To sum it up as Lisa did, "that's cool!"

This new chapter of our lives opened on a good page.  Lisa, the boys, and Betty attended.  I said good bye to a mentor, BG Goddard, and was welcomed home to the 353 CACOM - full of faces I hadn't seen in years.  There was even a cake with my face on it.  

How cool is that?







No comments: