Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I'm Hungry

I'm not sure if I have ever written about food before.   I've eaten in some amazing places, to include the White House. I eat more than almost any other thing I do in the world. I've eaten more than I have driven, more than I have worked, more than I have changed clothes. Thinking about it, eating takes up a lot of things you do in your life - yet rarely are meals, that is the food itself, memorable.

There are some exceptions, however..

The best soup I have ever had was Lisa's cheddar beer soup.
The best barbeque  I ever had was at the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY.
The best milk shake I ever had was at Doug's Fish Fry in Cortland, NY.
The best waffle (yes, waffle) I ever had was at the Westin Hotel in downtown Charlotte, NC with Charles Geter.
The best pizza I ever had was at Johnny's Pizzeria in NYC; once with Sam and Lisa and once with some old friends from high school.

Food abroad during a deployment is atrocious.  Correction, the food on base is awful.  Within two weeks the menu is predictable and unsavory.  Never, in three deployments, have I uttered the words, "I'd like seconds."  The meat is too tough, the fish too wet (no pun intended) or too dry, and the chicken tastes like chicken.  You can try to mix it up by ordering from the short order line or the sandwich bar or make a salad.  Yes, you have to balance your meals and not eat cheeseburgers all the time or have dessert every night.  However, it meals are just sustenance to get through the day.

Outside the gate is another story. Going out to eat here is a treat because the food at non-chain restaurants has flavor and variety. Finding a good place is the luck of the draw. Since most places cater to Arabs and Westerners alike someone is always willing to speak English to you and most menus are in two languages.

The other night I went to a recommended place called the 70's Restaurant located down near the souqs (shops) where we buy electronics, souvenirs, and knock off clothes.  It was clearly an Arab place and had nothing to do with the 1970s - not in the décor or flair. 

I wasn't entirely sure what to order so I ordered the staples; hummus, kabobs, nan (bread), and roasted vegetables.  It came with fries as if was some afterthought because, well, Americans.  I did not eat the fries but just about everything else.  It was delicious.  All of it.  I was full and satiated. 

One of my dinner companions ordered a Turkish coffee.  If you have never had Turkish coffee it is thick and sweet and loaded with caffeine.  It is served in a small cup with a small pot of reserve.  I - in all my travels - had never had one.  He encouraged me to try some since the next day was Sunday and "sleep is a crutch" - meaning "who cares if you can't fall asleep tonight, tomorrow is a day off."

The coffee - well - the best coffee I ever had...



No comments: