Monday, June 30, 2014

Foster Parents



We are foster parents to two adorable puppies.  They have been a part of the family since their mother died last week and Lisa and the rest of Camp rescued them from a place in Pamlico County, NC.

This isn't a huge task for us in the middle of our already busy summer but it does add a layer of complexity.

The puppies are appropriately named, "Puppy" because A, that is the first thing people usually say when they see one, and B, I fear that if we name them someone in the house may want to keep them, and C, they come running to whatever we call them so might as well keep it simple.

I know these two will be scooped up in no time and that they will go to good homes.

I am, in fact, a dog person.  I think owning a dog is a good stress reliever for human beings.  The friendships and bonds that are created between our species are amazing.   It's just that I am not ready to commit to a dog right now.  The boys are still a little skittish around the pups because they are all claws and teeth and excitement (the puppies, not the boys).  I think the best dogs are rescues because I thnk that somehow the dogs know you are helping them out of a tight spot like a pound or shelter. 

Having owned many dogs since I was a kid I am also aware of the work involved in feeding, cleaning, training, walking, and maintenance in owning a dog.  All totally worth it most days.  If you are willing to put up with the shedding on the furniture, an occasional chewed shoe, an accidental pee on the carpet the pay off is a chin on your lap with big eyes wanting a rub behind the ears or an exposed belly to be rubbed.  It's good for both animals.

Here's to Star, Frosty, Hershey, Max, Valentine, Candi, Sheba, and Poly - all of the dogs I have owned in my life.  Thanks for being good companions.








No comments: