Sunday, October 23, 2011

Boy's Night In

Lisa is out for the night which means I get "Daddy Duty."  That consists of diapers, dinner, playtime, TV time, and bedtime.  I can't complain about any of it because Lisa gets the lion's share in parenting when I am away for the Reserves.  

When people ask what I'm going to do with the boys I always say the same thing, "We're gonna strip down to our underwear, set a bonfire in the living room, and sacrifice a small, stuffed animal," to which I am usually met with  look of horror or humor.  


I enjoy the daddy time and the ability to play with the two of them.  Of course, it's hard right now because their age differences don't allow for a lot of group play.  TJ is okay playing with cars or spaceships or planes and Grant is into everything that TJ just put down.  The boys have never appeared selfish of their parents attention when they are focused on the other and so far the "That's Mine" mentality has not kicked in and we know enough to keep Grant away from his big brother's favorite toys.  

However, this afternoon was about naps; TJ took a 2 1/2 hour nap and Grant went down for 30 minutes.  Grant and I watched "Planet Earth" while I multitasked with the dishwasher and let TJ get some good rest.

To my credit, I don't take the easy route and go out to dinner - well, maybe once in a while.  I cook dinner while the boys are occupied on the floor with toys.  Thank goodness they are so easy going in general and with one another because it allows me the ability to get dinner on the table with the least amount of frustration possible. This evening was left over chicken breast with sauce added and mozzarella cheese.  That and some penne and vegetables made for a nice dinner.

After dinner I thought we'd go to the computer and have some fun with the Photo Booth and almost peed myself laughing with some of these pictures.  Big Brain Baby is my favorite. 

Now the boys are in bed and I can straighten up before Lisa gets home.  I like for her to come home to a clean and neat house because I want her to think I can handle both boys and the chores and make it look easy.  There are dozen things I could do; although drinking Maker's Mark and writing in the journal seem to be at the top of the list right now.  

I better go put the fire in the living room out.
 

1 comment:

Jen said...

Well you certainly make it SOUND easy