Many years ago, near the start of this journal, I wrote about why we love Disney. And over the course of many years together and building a family, we have had many visits to Disney World. Disney never disappoints.
Yes, of course, we have done many other things to give our family experiences; spring breaks in Utah, NYC, Alaska, Hawaii, DC, and Mexico. Trips to the beach and mountains too.
Yet, Disney is the one place we gravitate to because some of our core memories were made there. TJ getting kissed on his little baby forehead by Snow White, Grant's uncontained excitement his first time on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Sam going "big sister" mode and taking the boys to Animal Kingdom in 2018 while Lisa and I recovered from the Half Marathon, Lisa and I enjoying DWTK (Disney Without the Kids) trips, and our numerous races over the years. Disney gives us back.
I know some people look at us and wonder how or why we visit so many times. It's the same reason people like to tow a camper into the woods and sit by a campfire, or buy season tickets and tailgate at games, or collect things - it gives us pleasure. Correction, it gives us joy. I don't judge what people spend on golf clubs, don't judge us on Lightning Lanes.
Lately, I have been disheartened at work and have been grumpy (not the dwarf) at home. It has been a funk I haven't been able to pull myself out of. Last week, Grant and I went to Disney and Samantha came in for a day. It was like a beam of sunshine. You could not get the smile off my face. I felt it in my core.
Watching Grant ride Guardians of the Galaxy, Cosmic Rewind for the first time, riding Smuggler's Run with Sam and Grant, watching Sam's anxiety rise on the Orange Line of Mission Space, riding Tron - at night - in the front row!, and Grant eating food from more than half a dozen countries during the Food & Wine Festival we made a new set of memories.
These are my core memories too. Memories of standing in line on Pirates of the Caribbean with my mom and dad at nine years old. Memories of Samantha jumping for joy at four years old as she entered the Magic Kingdom for the first time with me and my mom.
It is my happy place above all others.


No comments:
Post a Comment